Rosalind Greenwood, John Hardy
With the help of a grant from Methodist Heritage, it was decided to restore the sundial in 2011/12.
The sundial dates from the time the first chapel opened in 1773.
When the chapel was rebuilt in 1815, the sundial was placed in a prominent position on the façade.
After nearly 240 years exposed to the Pennine weather, the sundial was in very poor condition. It had broken into six pieces and was in danger of falling off the wall.
Andy Barraclough of Crossley Stonecraft was called in do the restoration. He removed the six chunks of sundial from the wall and transferred them to his workshop. There he first removed the many layers of old paint. This exposed the very fine original carved detail hidden underneath.
The six pieces of stone were then painstakingly stitched together using stainless steel rods inserted into holes drilled from the top of the sundial and filled with an epoxy resin. The lettering was repainted black and the gnomon was cleaned, repaired and repainted.
The sundial was returned to it’s place on the façade, and rededicated at a special service in July 2012 by the Rev. John Lambert.
A timely restoration of a precious piece of Methodist history which may well last another 240 years!